This page contains affiliate links. For more information please read my Disclosure Policy.
These chocolate Mummy Cupcakes are the perfect treat for Halloween. Get my easy tips for how to decorate these sweet and spooky festive cupcakes and delight your friends and family!
Here we are again! Another Halloween Treats Week is upon us and I’m very excited to be sharing these adorable (I mean spooky) mummy cupcakes with you!
They’re so easy to make that they’ll be a go-to Halloween treat as my kiddo gets older. Last year I shared my easy to decorate pumpkin cupcakes, but I actually think these are even simpler – it’s okay if you make them a little scraggly or the piping bag doesn’t cooperate, they’re mummies, they’re meant to be a little ragged!
Supplies for Decorating
Ready for the easiest list of decorating supplies? All you need is:
- A flat piping tip, I used a basket weave tip, #48
- A piping bag (I love my reusable ones)
- Eyes – You can opt for candy eyes, m&ms, or any other small round candy. I used ruby chocolate chips because they were on sale in the bulk bin!
You’ll also need chocolate cupcakes and a white frosting of course. I’m sharing both a very easy moist chocolate cupcake recipe in my recipe card below, and I used my cream cheese frosting made with my sponsor’s Dixie Crystals powdered sugar. But you can use whatever white frosting you like.
How to Decorate Mummy Cupcakes
If you’re a visual learner, check out this super quick video that shows you exactly how I decorated each cupcake quickly and easily! Or read on for step-by-step instructions and my best tips.
- Fit your tip and fill your piping bag.
- Starting at the edge, near the middle of the cupcake, make one line to the opposite edge horizontally at a slight angle.
- Repeat going at the opposite angle to create an X.
- Layer more strips of frosting at slight angles, leaving a small space above the initial X open for eyes.
- Don’t forget the top! Just leave a small spot for the eyes.
- Stick on the eyes! I didn’t have to do much, just gently pressed the pointed end of the chocolate chips into the cupcake. If you’re using flat or rounded candies, use a small dot of frosting on the back to stick them on.
Really there’s no wrong or right way to decorate a mummy cupcake, just create layers of lines. We like them with a good amount of frosting, but not so many layers that you can’t see the cupcake at all. If you like a really sweet cupcake, layer on more!
Check out all of these great #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes for today
- Jack-O-Lantern Apple Slice Pops from Big Bear’s Wife
- Monster Eyeball Cupcakes from Semi Homemade Recipes
- Ghost Meringue Cookies from Jen Around the World
- Apple Cider Donut Whoopie Pies from Pint Sized Baker
- Graveyard Pudding Cups from Fresh April Flours
- Churro Cookies from Devour Dinner
- Halloween Monster Donuts from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Witches’ Brew Whiskey Sour from The Redhead Baker
- Witches Hat Cheese Ball from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
- Pumpkin Swirl Brownies from Eat Move Make
- Layered Halloween Jello from from House of Nash Eats
- Mummy Wrapped Brie from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Mummy Cupcakes from The Flour Handprint
- Halloween Candy Cracker Toffee from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Old Fashioned Apple Fritters from It’s Shanaka
- Pumpkin Mint Patties from Sweet Beginnings
- Butterfinger Ice Cream (No-Churn) from Pastry Chef Online
- Chocolate Frogs from The Spiffy Cookie
- Halloween Cupcake Treat Board from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Skull Cake from Lemon Blossoms
- Halloween Brownie Pizza from Back To My Southern Roots
- Halloween Mini Bat Taco Cheeseballs from Savory Moments
- Ghostly Poptarts from An Affair from the Heart
- Deadly Dark Chocolate Layer Cake from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
How to Store Them
If you’re using my cream cheese frosting, or any other buttercream with whipping cream, mascarpone, etc, then they should be stored in the fridge within 2 hours of decorating.
You can bring them out an hour before serving safely, but honestly, if you also use my cupcake recipe, I really, really like them cold! They were fudgy, sweet, and of course spooky! They stayed good for a week.
If you’re using a standard American buttercream or Italian or Swiss Meringue buttercreams, they do not need to be stored in the fridge and can safely be kept at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
I hope you love every sweet and spooky bite of these cupcakes, I’m so happy with how they turned out that I know I’ll be making them again next year! Don’t forget to check out the other cupcake recipes on the blog, and be sure to enter the giveaway below the recipe card!!
Welcome!!! It is almost Halloween which means it is time for this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipe and giveaway event!!
#HalloweenTreatsWeek is a yearly Halloween blogging event that is hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife & its a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For the 4th annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 28 hauntingly talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week!
Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media and look at the bottom of each post to see all of the Halloween recipes that we’re sharing!
Prize #1 from Dixie Crystals
41 Pieces Silicone Bakeware Set
3 Piece Halloween Silicone Spatula Set
Nordic Ware Haunted Skull Cakelet Pana Rafflecopter giveaway
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsor to winner, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 11th – October 15th at 11:59PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 1 (ONE) prize pack and therefore we will have a total of 1 (ONE) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing brand sponsors: Dixie Crystals that provided a prize pack for our giveaways and also sent some samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.
Nutrition information and cooking times are provided as a best estimate. Values may vary based upon ingredients and equipment.