Hi! I’m Mikayla, the foodie behind The Flour Handprint. Welcome to my kitchen!
I’m so happy to have you here. Sharing my voracious love for all things food was a big reason I began this blog back in 2017 and since then, it has grown to define the way I cook and experience food. As I like to say, I create from scratch recipes for foodies and their families, just like mine.
My family and I live in the Bay area of California, surrounded by beautiful produce and good food. In addition to blogging, I’m a writer, wife, and mom to two boys. We LOVE to eat and usually the best bites come right out of my very own kitchen. I want the same for you!
My Food Background & Philosophy
Food has always been an obsession. I love to eat it, talk about it, and especially learn about it. Call it foodie, call it gourmand, if it means loving everything about food that’s me.
I’m self-taught and have learned through every medium I can. Restaurant jobs, cookbooks, television, tasting, gardening, and traveling has expanded my palate, knowledge, and passion. (doesn’t everyone plan vacations around what restaurants will be nearby??)
But most all practicing has helped me build a considerable knowledge base and some wicked cooking skills.
I pride myself on delivering educational cooking guides and high-quality, modern, unique, from-scratch recipes that use seasonal ingredients and solid technique. It’s my goal to inspire my fellow food-loving home cooks with well tested, flavor-packed recipes. No matter your skill level, if you’ve got the will to learn, I’m here to help!
What can you expect from The Flour Handprint?
- Recipes highlighting seasonal foods and maximizing the incredible flavors of fresh, local produce and proteins. Find new favorites for spring, summer, fall, and winter.
- Homemade food – if I can make it from scratch, I will! (Give me another few years and I’ll be curing my own bacon!)
- Find staple recipes like homemade breads and sauces to fill out your family menu with amazing flavor no matter what the season. Try my all-purpose seasoning, roasted garlic, vinaigrettes, and more to finish off or inspire meals.
- Get access to informative cooking guides about ingredients and techniques help you improve your cooking, with related recipes to get you started!
- Be inspired and encouraged to be creative. I hope every recipe I share is delicious and satisfying…but I also hope to equip you with everything needed to experiment in your own kitchen.
Join me here to access an ever growing encyclopedic resource of food information. Along the way feel free to reach out and chat about anything in your foodie life by contacting me here!
So Why “The Flour Handprint”?
Growing up my mom was always in the kitchen. She was my very first food resource and taught me the first of my recipes. More importantly she taught me that food was love. The host of many holiday dinners, and always armed with a dish to share if she wasn’t, I learned early that one of the best things about eating good food is sharing it with the people you love.
I will always remember her showing me the perfect moment to pull sugar cookies from the oven, but what I remember most of all is that she never escaped a baking project without a perfect white flour handprint somewhere on her person.
I can’t think of a better name than that image. One that encapsulates what food means to me: love, happiness, a bit of mess, and freedom. It will encourage and fuel my passion to discover more about food and how to share it with the world.