Hi! I’m Mikayla, wife, mother, writer, California native, and food nerd behind The Flour Handprint. Welcome to the journey of made from scratch cooking and a bit of nerdy food learning!
What’s a food nerd you ask? Here it is…I have a bit of a food obsession. I love to eat it, cook it, talk endlessly about it, and especially learn about how to cook it.
You could call me a research nerd. I have a voracious curiosity and am proud of it!
That curiosity keeps me in the kitchen, experimenting endlessly because I NEED to know why and why a recipe works. It’s also taught me several key things…
- Food made from scratch is not only more delicious, but often more budget friendly and healthier than store bought shortcuts or processed alternatives.
- Understanding how to cook makes cooking old favorites and experimenting with new ingredients fun, creative, and more relaxing.
- Learning cooking techniques, cooking ratios, and cooking tips are the secret to learning how to cook successful made from scratch recipes.
- I love making everything homemade, but it should be PRACTICAL for modern lifestyles. I’m a busy mom, a wife, and even have a few friends, I’m probably not curing my own prosciutto in my hand built cellar. Just sayin’.
- Cooking should be fun, not stressful. I’ll make anything from scratch, as long as its reasonable for my budget, my time, and my family. Bonus, I share it ALL with YOU!
The Flour Handprint was born of those discoveries and my passion for sharing from scratch cooking with my fellow home chefs.
I aim provide the resources needed to unlock anyone’s inner chefs and make delicious made from scratch food in a home kitchen. But what does this mean exactly?
From The Flour Handprint you can…
- Recipes highlighting seasonal foods and maximizing the incredible flavors of fresh produce.
- Find year around favorites like homemade breads and sauces to fill out your family menu no matter what the season.
- Get access to food guides including: how to guides, ingredients profiles, cooking techniques, and cooking tips.
- Be inspired and encouraged to be creative. I hope every recipe I share is delicious and satisfying…but I also hope to equip you with everything needed to make any recipe your own and experiment in your own kitchen.
I’m a firm believer that homemade is best, and I want to share and learn all there is to know behind what makes food great and how to do it yourself. You’ll be surprised when you suddenly find yourself eating out and saying…hey, I could make this better at home!
Join me here to access recipes I develop and an ever growing encyclopedic resource of food information. I intend to leave no question unanswered!
Looking for an answer to that food question that’s been bugging you? Ask me to find the answer for you by contacting me here!
So Why “The Flour Handprint”?
Growing up my mom was always in the kitchen. She was my very first food resource and taught me the first of my recipes. More importantly she taught me that food was love. The host of many holiday dinners, and always armed with a dish to share if she wasn’t, I learned early that one of the best things about eating good food is sharing it with the people you love.
I will always remember her showing me the perfect moment to pull sugar cookies from the oven, but what I remember most of all is that she never escaped a baking project without a perfect white flour handprint somewhere on her person.
I can’t think of a better name than that image. One that encapsulates what food means to me: love, happiness, and freedom. It will encourage and fuel my passion to discover more about food and how to share it with the world.