This page contains affiliate links. For more information please read my Disclosure Policy.
If you’re looking for an easy to make side dish, check out this simple garlic roasted broccoli. It’s packed with flavor and takes minimal prep time.
When the fall and winter weather hits, I definitely start to miss out on my favorite summer veggies. But developing easy, flavorful recipes like this garlic roasted broccoli has definitely helped me learn to love the deeper, heartier veggies of the cold seasons too.
Plus it helps that oven roasted garlic broccoli is ridiculously simple to make. It takes minimal effort from me to get into the oven, and uses super easy ingredients to make a garlicky, delicious side dish.
5 Easy Ingredients
It doesn’t get much easier than these ingredients when it comes to preparing a flavorful side dish.
- Broccoli – For my family of 3 (2 adults 1 kid) I make a batch with about 6 cups of broccoli florets and it serves us for dinner and lunch the next day.
- Garlic – Use 6 large cloves, unpeeled. If they’re thin or small, use more like 7-8. No need to dice, mince, or anything else!
- Oil – I use grapeseed or olive oil, about 3-4 tablespoons to get all the florets evenly coated and tossed so they roast properly.
- Seasoning salt – I use my all-purpose seasoning blend for this and I highly, highly recommend you whip up a big batch to keep on hand for recipes like this. A store bought seasoning salt works too.
- Butter – the finishing touch! I use 4-5 tablespoons depending on my buttery mood, but you can use oil instead (I really prefer butter).
You can check out my seasoning blend recipe and make a big batch, but if you’re interested in just using the blend for this one recipe you’ll need these ingredients: Salt, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, granulated sugar.
You can just sprinkle each over the top of the broccoli, being a bit more generous with the salt, and toss it all together.
Tips for Perfect Oven Roasted Garlic Broccoli
This is a really quick and easy recipe. Toss it on the pan, melt the butter, mush in the garlic once it’s roasted, and boom, delicious roasted broccoli and garlic.
But of course, I have some tips for making sure your garlic and veggies come out perfectly roasted every time.
- Don’t skimp on the oil. Everyone gets so concerned with using less, but your broccoli will taste better and roast more evenly if every piece gets an even coat.
- Taste a piece of broccoli raw. If the seasoning seems too weak for you, add a few more sprinkles.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan. Use 2 pans rather than stuffing it all onto one if needed. If it’s too crowded the broccoli will steam, not caramelize.
- DO NOT peel the garlic! Just add whole cloves onto the pan. It’s going to roast and get creamy (roasted garlic is a thing of beauty), then it will be combined with the butter to create a sauce.
- Stir once in the middle of roasting, and flip the garlic cloves over on the pan to evenly roast them.
- If your broccoli is not done to your liking at the end of the cooking time, test the garlic, if it’s soft and squishy, take it off the pan so it doesn’t get hard or burn.
- Melt the butter and squeeze the garlic from the cloves into it, mush it together, and toss it on broccoli!
Sure, you can cook the broccoli and seasoning together in a pan, but pan roasting garlic will be much more difficult. If you prefer this method, then I suggest having prepared roasted garlic in the freezer (it’s easy and lasts forever!)
You bet. I make a big enough batch that it serves us for dinner and lunch the next day. I will say I much prefer the texture of leftovers when it’s tossed into a sauté pan, my toaster oven, or the oven again, rather than the microwave.
So…pretty simple, am I right? It’s really a delicious way to enjoy roasted broccoli and roasted garlic with minimal effort on our parts. Simple can be completely delicious with the right technique. I hope you enjoy this dish! But also check out these other fall and winter veggie sides to inspire your cold season menus.
- Deep Fried Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
- Creamy Scalloped Potatoes with Kale and Leeks
- Easy Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Skillet Green Beans with Bacon and Mushrooms
Garlic Roasted Broccoli
- 6 cups broccoli florets
- 4 large garlic cloves*
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose seasoning* Please See Notes at Bottom
- 4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- Preheat your oven 350°F.
- Toss the broccoli florets with the oil and seasoning and arrange on a large baking sheet. Use two if the pan is too crowded to prevent steaming.
- Add the garlic cloves, whole and unpeeled, to the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes. Stir the broccoli at the 15 minute mark and check the garlic, if it's very soft already (like custard) then take it from the oven, if it's still firm, leave it in with the broccoli.
- When the broccoli has finished roasting and the garlic is very soft, melt the butter.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves into the butter and mix well.
- Toss the broccoli with the garlic butter and serve.
Nutrition information and cooking times are provided as a best estimate. Values may vary based upon ingredients and equipment.